A little project to measure and visualize the forces experienced on the nation's roller coasters. Hoping to add actual evidence to the eternal discussions of "which is better, the front or back?"




Friday, July 14, 2006

A Detour

I figured it would come to this. Minor setback -- the Zaurus's serial connector doesn't provide power (more specifically, it doesn't provide enough power), which makes the accelerometer useless out-of-the-box. It works fine and dandy on my PC, but the Zaurus can't drive it just yet.

There are two options:
  • create my own serial cable, splicing the power wires to run to a separate power sourcepower
  • power the accelerometer directly
Either way I'm in the land of soldering. Now, I've constructed some pretty basic circuits in the past, and done a good deal of cable splicing for theatre stuff, but I don't feel comfortable doing work that's potentially dangerous (at least, dangerous for the equipment) without some training. Or at least some practice.

Since I don't have the time/energy/money to actually take a class, I'm thinking of giving Electronic Circuits for the Evil Genius a try. It seems like a fairly thorough introduction, but doesn't assume you need to be told what electricity is. I took AP Physics -- I know what a resistor and capacitor are, and once upon a time could decipher a circuit diagram. I see this as a combination refresher course / hands-on training opportunity. I'm all about the hands-on. (If anyone knows a better resource, please feel free to interject. That book is recommended by MIT OpenCourseWare, so I'll take that as a fairly respectable endorsement.)

So that will probably take a little while before I'm comfortable enough to actually tackle this part of the project head-on. That's ok. It's not like I'm working towards a deadline or anything. Hobbies rock.

It seems that someone (Matt? The same Matt I know?) from the Center for Applied Biomechanics (where I worked during the summer of 2004, programming databases) found this blog recently. How he found it, I don't know, but he provided some useful feedback on the data analysis and capture. Pretty neat! Maybe some more useful people will drop by and give me hints.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home